The Electrolyte Challenge

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

SeaDoll
Project Question: The Electrolyte Challenge
Project Due Date: March 15, 2011 (Tomorrow)
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

The Electrolyte Challenge

Post by SeaDoll »

Hey, so I'm doing the project "The Electrolyte Challenge." I've gotten my results, but I have no clue if they are correct.

Orange Juice: 41.00 - 38.8 mA
Smart Water: 0.95 mA
Vitamin Water: 4.32 - 4.75 mA
Gatorade: 27.9 - 28.3 mA
Distilled Water: 0.25 mA
Rockstar Energy Drink: 9.14-9.30 mA
Pepsi: 7.4 - 13.21 mA

I added SmartWater because its supposed to include more electrolytes than regular water. I also tried VitaminWater, Pepsi, and Rockstar for added results.
Could you let me know if my results seem correct? Is the unit of mA good to use for my results? Should I not include some of the drinks i did include?

Also, I'll be explaining that to make orange juice a better "energy" drink is by diluting it a little with water and adding a pinch of salt.

My Project is due tomorrow, so please help me
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: The Electrolyte Challenge

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

Here is a Science Buddies Project Writeup on your topic:

Hi,

Here is a Science Buddies Project Writeup on your topic

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p053.shtml

Your results seems reasonable to me, and in any event they are the results you got, so they are what you should report. Note that the experiment writeup suggests reporting conductance results in siemens (current in amps divided by voltage in volts).

Good luck at the science fair!

Best regards,

Barrett L Tomlinson

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”