Effect of oil spills on aquatic plants

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

yara289
Project Question: what would be the "variable" to the Garbage Away experiment (recycling)
Project Due Date: December 4, 2009
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Effect of oil spills on aquatic plants

Post by yara289 »

under Procedure on this experiment, it asks to invert a test tube filled w/water over the outlet of a funnel. When I do this the water spills out and becomes added water to the beaker. How do you keep the water in the test tube once you invert it? I am to measure the height of the oxygen in the test tube(s) with a ruler. In figure 1 of experiment layout it shows an inverted test tube filled w/water. HELP! MANY THANKS!
MelissaB

Re: Effect of oil spills on aquatic plants

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

Could you give us a link to the procedure you are referencing? I am not sure which project you mean. However, given what you have described, you have to keep the mouth of the test tube under water when you invert it--then most of the water will stay in the test tube.

Good luck!
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

I think you may be doing this project:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p004.shtml

To collect gas accurately, the test tubes must be secured firmly in place upside down so that the trapped air will stay in the tube. The homemade device shown in this project uses rubber bands held in place with holes drilled in a piece of wood. You may have to improvise with materials you have available.

Please let us know exactly which project are doing if this explanation is not what you need.

Donna Hardy
yara289
Project Question: what would be the "variable" to the Garbage Away experiment (recycling)

Post by yara289 »

what I found needed to be done was that the stem of the funnel needs to be completely submerged under water when you invert the test tube. So I had to increase the amount of water called for in the experiment. Many thanks for your input.
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

Thanks so much for letting us know how you were able to resolve the problem. I will let the Science Buddies staff know that the directions for this project need to be revised.

Were you able to successfully complete the project?

Best regards,

Donna Hardy
yara289

Post by yara289 »

I am happy to report this project will be in District competition this W/E. Thanks, Yara289
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Yara,

Thanksfor letting s know. Congratulations for making it to the District competition. Good luck to you.

Donna Hardy
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by amyc »

I wanted to add my congratulations, as well, for making it to the district-level competition. Please let us know how it goes--good luck!

Also, is the project Donna linked to the one that you were doing?

From Gas to Rust: Measuring the Oxygen Content of Air
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p004.shtml

I just want to make sure, and I also wanted to thank you for letting us know how you went about solving the problem you had.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”