Couple Questions About Doing Advanced Projects

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

iabas
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: March 24, 2009
Project Status: Not applicable

Couple Questions About Doing Advanced Projects

Post by iabas »

Hi, I want to do an project related to oncology to eventually submit to Siemens or Intel STS, but I'm not sure if it is too late or not. For those who've participated in these projects before, how many hours did you devote on your projects? I'm willing to work on it a few hours every day during the majority of August. After that, I can work on the research aspect for several hours during the weekends and the other things during the weekday. Unfortunately, I haven't started yet, but I have begun doing research into the topic.

Also, how did you approach your mentor, if you had one? I want to e-mail several professors from universities (Chapman, UCI, UCR, UCLA...) around me, but I don't know what exactly to say. I'll definitely show my passion and provide a resume, but should I also already have a specific idea? Or did you develop your ideas by discussing with your mentors?

Thank you for your time!
MelissaB

Re: Couple Questions About Doing Advanced Projects

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

Science Buddies has some amazing resources on how to start an advanced science project and how to find a mentor. All of the resources are on this page: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... l?From=Tab (you have to scroll down). I would suggest looking through those, and then you can post back if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Return to “Getting Started”