Science Fair Project Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

RituDhar
Project Question: The effect of different particle type of radioisotope fractionation
Project Due Date: November 13, 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Science Fair Project Help

Post by RituDhar »

So, I'm testing the effect of different particle types on radioisotope fractionation and I was thinking about testing different elements such as Uranium and Carbon because they emit alpha beta and gamma particle, How ever I am baffled on how to test these particles and how to test them on radioisotope fractionation. I know that radioisotope fractionation is the process that a radioisotope breaks down to its stable conditions however I cannot manage to put the whole project together. If someone could explain to me a process or experiment that I could conduct that would allow me to test different particle type of radioisotope fractionation.

Thank you
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: Science Fair Project Help

Post by Craig_Bridge »

IMO: The measurement equipment and technique needed to experiment in this area is beyond any reasonable budget for a grade 9-12 Science Fair project. That doesn't even consider any safety and regulatory concerns.
-Craig
Goldenzenith
Former Student Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Goldenzenith »

Hi, Ritu,

Your topic is interesting and advanced, but it may pose some risks that you should definitely avoid. As Craig noted, you should keep in mind the potential cost, and safety and regulatory concerns. Perhaps you could change your project idea and address some other topic that you are passionate about!
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert
raytrent
Former Expert

Post by raytrent »

I think there might be some experiments that might be possible (and safe, and not too terribly expensive) in this topic area, but I'm not sure I'm following you on the radioisotope fractionation definition. Most definitions I've been able to find have described fractionation as various chemical and physical processes that act to separate different isotopes of an element, such as water with O16 evaporating slightly faster than water with O18, resulting in rainwater having more O16 than seawater.

That sounds like something different than what you're trying to look into, but I'm not sure which is which.
../ray\..

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”