HELP...what is the variable(s)??????

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mi7speed
Project Question: My daughter is working on a science project and its due on 11/28. Its which exericise burns more calories, treadmill, bike, or ellipitcal trainer. My ? is what is the variables. I'm not sure what they are.
Project Due Date: 11/28/2011
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

HELP...what is the variable(s)??????

Post by mi7speed »

Hello...my daughter just completed her research and experiment for her science project. I'm a little confused a bit. Is the independent variables the actual equipment (bike, treadmill, and ellipitcal trainer)?

is the controlled variable the actual time of exercising....which is 30 minutes?

I'm not sure if I understand variables 100%

Her project is which exercise burns the most calories? Treadmill, Ellipitcal, or Stationary Bike. She believes the treadmill will be the most effective. After completing the experiment....the ellipitcal is more effective. Please explain the variables to me, are we on the right road?

Thanks,
Elle
3greenangel
Project Question: will the fertilizer added to soil effect the height of the plant
Project Due Date: 11/30
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: HELP...what is the variable(s)??????

Post by 3greenangel »

the independent is what you change- type of exersise

the depentent is what you measure - how many calories were burned off

the controled are the things that are the same during the whole experiment- what you used to find who many calories, the time spent exercising and what ever else you can think of that stays the same in that experiment

I am a 7th grader that is in gifted class and pays attiention in class I know what I am saying I am also conducting a experinent for science. :D
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: HELP...what is the variable(s)??????

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

3greenangel has given you a really good answer, and I can confirm that she is paying attention in class. Here is some additional information from the Science Buddies website on variables:

Here is a basic explanation.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... test.shtml

Here is a more detailed explanation:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml

The independent variable is the one parameter in your experiment that you change and in your daughter’s project, this is the type of exercise. The number of calories is the dependent variable.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”