Is this a good Topic for me?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

SPatton96
Project Question: What natural ingredients are best for the "perfect" lip gloss?
Project Due Date: December 20th/21st
Project Status: I am just starting

Is this a good Topic for me?

Post by SPatton96 »

I am a 9th grade honors biology student. Is this a good topic with the proper tweaking. https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p022.shtml
ktsshao
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Is this a good Topic for me?

Post by ktsshao »

Hi SPatton96!
In short, Yes, I do think this could make for an interesting science project. Some things you can do to take this a little further might include:

1. testing your own homemade product against a store-bought one: don't tell you customers which is which--let them decide which one they prefer!
2. briefly trace the history of ingredients used to make certain cosmetics (i.e. lipstick, blush, lipgloss, etc). There is an interesting Wikipedia page (don't cite this!) that talks about the kinds of ingredients that are commonly used in making perfume and lipstick. You should give it a peek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingredient ... s#Lipstick

Good luck, and think of some more questions you'd like to ask.
Best,
Ktsshao
sk1
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Is this a good Topic for me?

Post by sk1 »

Hi SPatton96,

Yes, it would be a great project to do. Cosmetics is an industry that has grown tremendously over the past few decades and is always changing.

Another thing you could test is whether there are common chemcials among cosmetics that are somewhat harmful to humans (as I know there are a bunch) and their side affects on humans.

Hope that helps!

-Sam

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”