Unable to understand projects:

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ecouter11
Project Question: Immunology?
Project Due Date: not sure.
Project Status: I am just starting

Unable to understand projects:

Post by ecouter11 »

Hi ScienceBuddy-ers,

I'm faced with a problem: I was fortunate to meet up with a prof who does Biochem research and is willing to help me do my own project. Great.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have time to 'think up a project' for me, so he basically had me read some reviews and some of his papers and wants me to come up with some ideas by myself.

I have ultra vague ideas and I don't fully understand all the material (I have been working through several review articles, but I'm not sure what's the point until I really know what I'm trying to research- it turns into background info which I eventually forget.)
My deadline to email him is Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

I'm terrified of sending vague ideas (which I still don't fully comprehend) to the Prof and end up looking stupid.

Do you guys have any suggestions/advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

Ecouter11
mbadtke
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Unable to understand projects:

Post by mbadtke »

Ecouter11,
I would not worry about sounding "smart" and focus more on asking questions that you understand, even if they are more simplistic. A faculty member will not be expecting you to come up with complicated projects, so I would focus on something simple and straightforward that you understand. Projects always take longer and become more complicated than you think from the start, plus you can always make it more complicated once you have completed the first simple project. Good luck, I hope you find a suitable project!

Matt Badtke
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Unable to understand projects:

Post by HeatherL »

Hi Ecouter11,

I know this reply is later than your deadline, but have you tried looking through the Science Buddies project index (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ody#browse)? You might find a project idea there that sparks your interest, and it may help you come up with a more sophisticated project based on a simpler one.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Good luck,
Heather

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”