how does the size of a reactant affect the rate of a reactio

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sharon225
Project Question: how does the size of a reactant affect the rate of a chemical reaction? i don't understand if in this experiment i have to fill up the bottle as well.
Project Due Date: Monday Dec. 12, 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

how does the size of a reactant affect the rate of a reactio

Post by sharon225 »

my experiment is how does the size of a reactant affect the rate of a chemical reaction? my question is do i fill the bottle with water like the grad cylinder and dishpan?
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: how does the size of a reactant affect the rate of a rea

Post by kgudger »

Hello:

I haven't done this experiment myself, but here is what the experiment says about the amount (and temperature) of the water in the reaction bottle:
You'll use the same plastic bottle for repeated trials, so it is convenient to mark the desired water level.
The actual volume of water used is not critical, as long as it is at least 240 ml (8 oz.).
The smaller the air space in the bottle, the sooner you will be able to start collecting carbon dioxide gas.
You do want to use the same amount of water for each trial. Use a piece of masking tape on the outside of the bottle to mark the water level. Place the tape with its top edge even with the water level in the bottle.
For measuring the reaction rate, you will use the same volume of water at the same starting temperature.
Let us know if you have any other questions.
Keith

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”