Science related careers?

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

CarisiaScherer
Project Question: I need to make an interactive model of the cell cycle for my Biology class. I wish to get bonus points for adding movement. The problem is that I can think of no way to replicate the cell cycle. Can you give me any ideas?
Project Due Date: 11/16/2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Science related careers?

Post by CarisiaScherer »

I am searching for a science related career that would be right for me. I have thought about studying marine mammology, equine studies, or a trade school for horse training or zoo keeping. I want to work hands on with animals outdoors, and I really want to work with a variety of animals. I also want to get a good pay as well as time for recreations (such as hang gliding and skiing) I am also quite artistic and good at writing, though, and I am unsure on what I should pursue. Any other careers that you think I could consider? Should I go to college/ a university, or a trade school? Ideas....
VSegarra
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science related careers?

Post by VSegarra »

Hello Carisia,
It is great to hear about your interest in a career in the sciences!! I am a biochemist by training and have very little experience with the type of science subject that interests you.
I would recommend you find scientists in your community (nearby zoo, museum, or university) that are doing work you find interesting. You could then use them as a resource to "research" or "investigate" the different career paths that interest you. How does that sound?
Best,
Veronica
KatieC
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science related careers?

Post by KatieC »

Hello,
I would definitely recommend getting at least a BS in some area of science. Probably Physiology or Biology. If you are interested in working with animals while doing lab work I would check out the work that the Beckman Center does at the San Diego Wild Safari Park. I have been there and the focus of their research is to help conserve endangered species. They do all sorts of lab work to uncover what might be driving the animal to extinction. To get samples they frequently interact with the animals. I would do a google search under conservation organizations to see what other facilities might do similar research. I can't guarantee what the pay or schedule would be but if you love what you do, it doesn't always mater. Good luck!

Katie

Return to “Careers in Science”