Help ASAP Please Project due Feb 10 2012

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ToatsMcGoats
Project Question: When playing a racing video game, does an inexperienced player score higher using a real-world-based racing wheel remote or with a traditional standard controller?
Project Due Date: Feb. 10, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Help ASAP Please Project due Feb 10 2012

Post by ToatsMcGoats »

Hello, I am a 5th grader doing a science project "out of control" from the video game category and I need some help choosing the best PROBLEM QUESTION for it. Can someone please help me? My project is due Feb 10 2012!
Here are me possible questions I came up with. Thank you for help in advance! Xavier

1. Do video game players perform better while using real-world-based controllers over a standard traditional abstract controller?

2. Do gamers score higher playing a racing video game using the standard remote control or using the racing steering wheel remote control?

3. When playing a racing video game, does a player score higher playing with the racing wheel remote control or with the standard console remote control?

4. Does a video game player score higher using a steering wheel controller or with a traditional controller?

One last question.... How does this sound for my Title to go along with my problem question???? .....

"CONTROL THE SCORE"

PLEASE help me ASAP i appreciat it! Xavier
tznunu
Former Expert
Project Question: Plant Pathology
Project Due Date: March 14

Re: Help ASAP Please Project due Feb 10 2012

Post by tznunu »

Hi Xavier,

I'm glad to see that you've used the Science Buddies website to help you find a project! The "Out of Control" experiment is a great choice.

When creating a project question, try to make it as specific and interesting as possible. Therefore, I would choose #3, and slightly change it to something like: "When playing a racing video game, does an inexperienced player score higher using a real-world-based racing wheel remote or with a traditional standard controller?" Make sure that whatever question you decide on, include the fact that you are looking at inexperienced players, since that is an essential part of the experiment.

The trick to creating a title is to make it eye-catching, yet still informative. For example, your title could be "Control the Score: Real-World-Based vs. Traditional Video Game Controllers." Notice how the first part catches a person's attention, while the second part introduces what the project will be about.

I hope that helps! Good luck on your project, and feel free to ask more questions!

-Tiffany
ToatsMcGoats
Project Question: When playing a racing video game, does an inexperienced player score higher using a real-world-based racing wheel remote or with a traditional standard controller?

Post by ToatsMcGoats »

Tiffany -

WoW!!! You are awesome! That helps sooo much and I see what you mean by pointing those key areas I missed. Thank you, Thank you!!
ToatsMcGoats

Can I Please get Help Once More ASAP Project due Feb 10 2012

Post by ToatsMcGoats »

Hello - I am sorry to ask again, But I am trying to write my research section and to be honest I have sooo much info from different sources that I am sooo confused now. I have looked at the help for background research and even sample back ground from science buddies... but I am still stuck for 2 whole days and I am running out of time.
should me research cover the history and video game process of how its made, then up to the evolution of video games now or leave that out and talk about the controllers - one being real world mimicking and then about the traditional button d-pad standard controllers. Do I talk about the racing game being able to use both totally different controllers? I need some outside perspective please! I am stuck on this and i am almost out of time.

Can someone please help me? Thank you
xavier

When playing a racing video game, does a player score higher playing with the racing wheel remote control or with the standard console remote control?
tznunu
Former Expert
Project Question: Plant Pathology
Project Due Date: March 14

Post by tznunu »

Hi Xavier,

For your project, you don't need to go into a lot of detail about the history and evolution of video games. However, you should still talk about it in at least 3 to 4 sentences. It'll be a good introduction explaining how your project connects to the real world. Also, you can include the results of previous, similar experiments done by actual scientists to support the design of your project. Here is a good one to look at (it has some advanced language, but it also has a great background): http://www.temple.edu/ispr/prev_confere ... borini.pdf

You should mostly focus on explaining background for the two types of controllers. For example, how are they similar, and how are they different? And always explain any key terms or concepts too. For your project, the key terms are: Control scheme, Industry standard, Natural mapping, and Peripheral. (I found them on the "Out of Control" project idea page: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p022.shtml) If you come across any other words that you think are important, you can add those too. And also, try to give examples of games other than the racing one that you're using (like Wii Tennis, Wii Golf, etc.) You can even add examples that are not video-game related, such as how the knobs on a stove match up with the position of whichever burner it controls. (See picture below.)

If you didn't do so already, you should read over the guidelines of a project background: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... plan.shtml

My teachers always tell me that it's better to say too much than say too little. So don't be afraid to add whatever you think is related.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask; I'm always willing to help out! :D
~Tiffany Z.
ToatsMcGoats

Post by ToatsMcGoats »

hi tiffany!

Thank u sooo much, once again! You are such a big help! and it really got me unstuck. thank you again! i needed an outside look at what i was doing wrong. I hope that will be it, if not i will be aaking for your help again, thanks! one thing for sure, i will be letting you know what happens .... you know my grade or if i make it to first place!!!

xavier :D

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”