Mouth Microbes and Chewing Gum

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

yellowpeach
Project Question: Which oils in chewing gum reduces mouth microbes; Cinnamon, Spearmint, or Pepperming?
Project Due Date: March 1,2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Mouth Microbes and Chewing Gum

Post by yellowpeach »

My daughter has been working on an experiment using Cinnamon, Spearmint, and Peppermint chewing gum. She made agar petrie dishes and swabbed her mouth after chewing each chewing gum, and she watched the microbes grow! But the question now is "How is she able to graph something like this?" Do you have ideas of how we can chart this somehow?

Thank You
ivyh
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mouth Microbes and Chewing Gum

Post by ivyh »

Hi,

If possible, you can graph your results by counting the amount of colonies in each dish and charting your results in the form of a bar graph. That should be a simple way to make a meaningful graph for the project.
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mouth Microbes and Chewing Gum

Post by amyc »

To add to Ivy's suggestions about graphing, I wanted to provide this URL for a Science Buddies resource that can help with bar graphs:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... l?from=AAE

You may also find this one helpful:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... l?from=AAE

Let us know if you have questions!

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”