Which is better or more suiting?

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ASkarzynski
Project Question: Will shutter speed effect the pixel intensity of a photo?
Project Due Date: February 20th, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Which is better or more suiting?

Post by ASkarzynski »

I like both chemistry and astronomy but I love science in general. When I grow up I really want to pursue a career in science but my mother isn't very supportive. What do you guys think? :(
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Which is better or more suiting?

Post by kgudger »

Hello!

I would like to encourage you to study science, any kind! You will be a more informed citizen and better able to help society make decisions the more science you understand. When you study any of the STEM subjects in college (Science, Engineering, Technology, Mathematics), you learn how to think. You will find these skills, independent of the knowledge gained, useful and valuable in whatever career you pursue.

If you're concerned about the job market, Chemistry is a hot field right now. Astronomers usually work for universities, and so the employment potential is not as high.

Whatever you choose, follow your dream. In the long run you will get the most satisfaction from the field that you love.

Keith
John Dreher
Former Expert
Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by John Dreher »

I agree with Keith 100%. A career in science can be the most rewarding ever.

At your age, I'd suggest reading some biographies of famous scientists -- your librarian can help you find good ones that are fun to read. Another way to get "turned on" is to play around with the internet, for example

http://powersof10.com/

is fun (use the scale control bar at the far left to make it work) -- it brings together knowledge of the universe from the tiniest to the largest -- some trip.

On the academic side, algebra is to science what reading is to general learning. Master basic algebra and the rest of your science and engineering studies will much easier. Next properties of matter (material sciences) is fundamental to most everything. There are a lot of 1st year college texts that cover this material. Here is a link that might be a little advanced, or maybe not, take a look and see

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/states-of-matter

IMHO, it's too soon to worry about job markets; these vary from year to year. Naturally engineers who do applied work are generally paid more, while "pure" scientists have more freedom to pursue their own interests. Keith is right, however: learning science will develop your knowledge of the real world and your ability to think. These are invaluable whatever you ultimately choose to do.

I have never regretted choosing a scientific career for a moment.

Good luck!
ASkarzynski
Project Question: Will shutter speed effect the pixel intensity of a photo?
Project Due Date: February 20th, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by ASkarzynski »

Thank you guys for your advice! I will definitely look at the links you gave me and continue loving science! You were a great help and it really inspired me that no matter what I pick, I will not regret it! Thank you again! :mrgreen:
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by theborg »

My 2 cents worth in full support of what Keith and John have said.

1) Pursue your interests. You are far more likely to be successful in something that you love and enjoy. 2) Research. At your age, interests are likely to shift as your knowledge of any particular field of study matures. 3) Be open to discovery!

As said before, the library and the internet can be an excellent source. Also, if you have a way to contact your local university, you may be able to visit various science departments and get a first hand glimpse of the work being performed in each field. Your own school science teacher may be able to help you out as well.

As for the support of a parent...I provide the following as general advice only. I cannot assume the relationship one person has with another, only you can do that. With some hesitation, however, I offer the following: I had a similar issue with my family as I graduated high school and picked a field of study in college, which ultimately led me to a science based career in the military, which my parents were not thrilled with. However, with persistence, I won the support I needed and have enjoyed virtually every day of my career (15+ years) since. In general, open communication about a subject can do a lot for both parties involved. There is probably a reason for the lack of support. If possible, talk to your mom and find out what her concerns are (if you don't already know). Then, do your homework! Come to a discussion armed with information. Acknowledge her concerns...discuss how or why those issues can be or are mitigated...be sure to let her know what you're interested in and why. Who knows, you may even find out she's more supportive than you think.

I provide the above advice with the utmost care...I absolutly don't want to get anyone in trouble with family.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
theborg
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Careers in Science”