Electrolyte Challenge: Orange Juice vs. Sports Drink

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

scienceluver7
Project Question: Electrolyte Challenge: Orange Juice vs Sports Drink
Project Due Date: 1/3/2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Electrolyte Challenge: Orange Juice vs. Sports Drink

Post by scienceluver7 »

Hey(: I am working on the Electrolyte Challenge: Orange Juice vs. Sports Drink Project. I changed the solutions to different ones, and I have about 5 solutions right now. I have done my experimental design and all of that stuff, but the circuit isnt working! :x I have looked at other posts and everyhting, but its simple not working! I have connected all the stuff for it an everything, but its nmot working. I have also checked the multimeter, and I beleive nothing is wrong with it. Did i mention that your instructions are quite confusing? I didnt get them at all, especially how to connect the circuit stuff. :cry: I am so confused and my project is due in a few days. How do I hook this thing up? please reply asap and I appreciate you guys looking at this! I may have forgotten a few details, so please tell me if anything is wrong.

Thanks(:
microkts
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Electrolyte Challenge: Orange Juice vs. Sports Drink

Post by microkts »

Hi,

This sounds like a great project. I can think of two reasons your circuit isn't working. Either your battery is dead so no current is being supplied or one of your connections isn't working. Can you test your battery in something that you know works, like a toy or other electronic?

Lets run through the circuit to see if all the connections are working. Start with your 9V battery, there should be a connection with an aligator clip between the positive terminal on the battery and the positive end of the multimeter. The negative terminal on your battery should be connected to one of the copper wires (that is wrapped around the plastic tube). The other copper wire (wrapped around the plastic tube) should be connected to the negative end of the multimeter. Then the circuit will be completed when both copper wires are submerged in an electrolyte solution.

Also is the battery in your multimeter working?

Here are some links to older posts about this project you may find helpful:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... =26&t=8679

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... =61&t=8617

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... =29&t=8402

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... =26&t=7514
scienceluver7
Project Question: Electrolyte Challenge: Orange Juice vs Sports Drink
Project Due Date: 1/3/2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by scienceluver7 »

Thank you soo much(: it worked this time! i dont knoe what i did wrong last time...but the good thing is that its working now!
microkts
Former Expert

Post by microkts »

That's great to hear! Let us know if you have any other questions.
miraculous

Post by miraculous »

I am curious about this project too, the orange juice vs sport drinks test. I wonder if you have posts regarding this.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”