Log book

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

jasmeer
Project Question: Doing a science fair project on Lactose Intolerance. Do you know where to buy Lactase drops in New Zealand??
Project Due Date: 6th May 2012! :( h e l p
Project Status: I am just starting

Log book

Post by jasmeer »

Hi,
I have just decided on my science fair topic, which will be based about Lactose Intolerance. I will be gathering equipment and the resources needed tomorrow. Just wondering about the Log Book side of the experiment. Should i start writing in my log book now ? Or when should i start, and what information goes into the Log Book.

Thank you :),
Jasmeer
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Log book

Post by theborg »

Hello Jasmeer, great question.

In very simple terms...get one now, use it often! The link below takes you to the science buddies science fair guide which has a section on the laboratory notebook, same thing as the log book. It has some good examples and suggestions for an effective book.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

The thing to remember is that this project tool serves as your experiment diary. It should be among the first things you start. Start using it now, and write down everything!

Post back with further questions.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml
jasmeer
Project Question: Doing a science fair project on Lactose Intolerance. Do you know where to buy Lactase drops in New Zealand??
Project Due Date: 6th May 2012! :( h e l p
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by jasmeer »

theborg,
Thanks for the quick reply. That project guide has really answered a lot of my questions and ill be following it carefully to ensure my project goes alright. For my experiment i will be using Glucose test strips for urinalysis. Do you recommend putting them in my log book, or on my display board for decorative purposes?

Thank you!,
Jasmeer :D x
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by theborg »

Jasmeer,

The Science Fair Project Guide also has lots of suggestions on project displays. However, since the strips are part of your test equipment/experiment apparatus and set up, I would try to display them. This is so that people viewing your board on Fair day can get a good idea of what you did, but also how you did it.

Additionally, sometimes it is not feasable to have the actual experiment apparatus there (like your actual cups of urine you are testing...seems unsanitary) so you can use pictures. In either case, pictures clearly showing proceedures and results is highly recommended for your display board.

Good Luck,
db

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”