Urgent help needed :(

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

jasmeer
Project Question: Doing a science fair project on Lactose Intolerance. Do you know where to buy Lactase drops in New Zealand??
Project Due Date: 6th May 2012! :( h e l p
Project Status: I am just starting

Urgent help needed :(

Post by jasmeer »

Hi i need urgent some help :(

Today I was meant to be gathering all my resources for the Lactose Intolerance experiment I am to do. --> https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... W&fave=yes

But upon going to the local pharmacy, the pharmacist said they did not know or sell
- lactase drops

and that hardly anyone uses Glucose test strips for urinalysis..... ?

he also said that a suitable substitute for Glucose tablets was Barley Sugar - i thought sugar catagorised under sucrose ?

This has been a major set back for my experiment. And I live in New Zealand btw. I really wanted to do this experiment!!
- I am wondering if I can substitute Glucose tablets for Barley sugar, or just use High Energy Glucose instead.
- Whether a product called "Ketostix" which is a reagent strip for urinalysis is a subsitute, though on the back says it has KETONE acid ?
- And if i can buy lactase drops anywhere

Im so confused and upset

Thank you so much,
Jasmeer. x
jmehta14
Former Expert
Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Urgent help needed :(

Post by jmehta14 »

Dear Jasmeer,
Seems like you need materials for your experiment. I think that if you get diabetic testing strips they would be ok. You can defintely use glucose tablets and use lactose tablets for your lactase drops. Make sure you keep the same concentration when you dissolve the tablets for your experiment. You can order the kit online but it is only shipped in the U.S.A. so I am not sure about New Zealand.

Godd luck
jay
jasmeer
Project Question: Doing a science fair project on Lactose Intolerance. Do you know where to buy Lactase drops in New Zealand??
Project Due Date: 6th May 2012! :( h e l p
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Urgent help needed :(

Post by jasmeer »

jmehta14 wrote:Dear Jasmeer,
Seems like you need materials for your experiment. I think that if you get diabetic testing strips they would be ok. You can defintely use glucose tablets and use lactose tablets for your lactase drops. Make sure you keep the same concentration when you dissolve the tablets for your experiment. You can order the kit online but it is only shipped in the U.S.A. so I am not sure about New Zealand.

Godd luck
jay
Hi Jay,
Thank you for the reply, It really means a lot.... I was very worried about substituting certain materials, but thank you for these great alternatives. I can easily access diabetic test strips and glucose. I'm not sure about lactase tablets, but I will be sure to go to the pharmacy tomorrow. I also looked at the kit online, but the shipping and handling fee was hundreds of dollars , which is unaffordable.

Thank you for the help again,
Jasmeer :D xo

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”