crystal making - seeded vs. non-seeded string

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

nicole1dancer
Project Question: How does seeding a string with salt, sugar, or borax vs. not seeding the string affect crystal growth?
Project Due Date: April 23, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

crystal making - seeded vs. non-seeded string

Post by nicole1dancer »

We are doing a seeded vs. non-seeded string crystal making project for the science fair, using borax, salt and sugar, similar to the experiment on this site.
So far results are mixed. Borax grows wildly, quickly and the seeded strings may be more uniform but the unseeded yield slightly larger amounts of crystal. The jar bottoms are coated with borax crystals with both seeded and unseeded strings in the borax solution. With salt, the seeded strings yield nothing and the unseeded strings are growing crystals. This has happened with 2 trials. With sugar, the crystals grow more uniformly on the seeded strings and also seem more dense. But the non seeded catch up and may even surpass the seeded strings. We are on days 1 and 2 of 2 trials. It seems that with seeded strings some of the seeding falls to the bottom of the jar and causes growth "off the string" and in the jar, which can account for why the non-seeded grow as large or larger "on the string". Any thoughts about this? We are using a food-safe cotton meat-tying string. It has texture and small crystals find the little cotton "hairs" and adhere to it well. Is it possible that seeding the string with salt in particular makes the surface of the string smooth and crystals won't adhere to it? Thoughts? Nicole and her mom. :D
jmehta14
Former Expert
Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: crystal making - seeded vs. non-seeded string

Post by jmehta14 »

Dear Nicole,
I suggest you do a third trial to get to a definite conclusion for this experiment. You still have some time to finish it before your due date.

Takecare,
Jay.
nokoroboo
Project Question: i am doing a project on if plants prefer salt , tap , sugar or mineral water best and want to know , what plant need i use ?
Project Due Date: due in 2 weeks of this question
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: crystal making - seeded vs. non-seeded string

Post by nokoroboo »

just keep trying :D
have u tried to use different environments ?
e.g , hot , next to oven , cold , in fridge ?
hope it helps :lol:

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”