intel STS project eligibility

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

wendeli
Project Question: Eligibility of my science project
Project Due Date: 11/1/12
Project Status: I am just starting

intel STS project eligibility

Post by wendeli »

Hi,

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to post my question, but I'll give it a shot. I'm going to try out for the intel STS project and hopefully, I'll manage to become a semi-finalist or such. I'm worried about the eligibility of my project however. I'm just starting this summer, which is really late so my options are limited. What I want to do is analyze the Q of diamond micromechanical resonators and create a recipe that is capable of reaching higher Qs than previously reported. I highly doubt I'll be able to successfully manage that within 2 months, so my backup plan is to create a statistical analysis of all Q values for different materials used as resonators and find one that has the highest Q, lowest temp requirements (and other things that I don't currently understand) that will become an ideal material to replace silicon and create higher resonance. The project basically contributes to creating mobile devices that are capable of accessing data more efficiently and through much more varied sources because it will be able to differentiate radio waves and such better. The only problem is there has already been extensive research in this area and a lot of published articles. The specific device that I'm mentioning is only being done at the lab I'm working in however.

So my problem is, I don't know when my research will stop becoming unoriginal and original, as the intel STS project requires, in this case. I can do more data collection, and possibly even create a more efficient device, but will that be sufficient enough to be considered original? I'd really appreciate your input, especially from any of the seasoned veterans out there. I assume the intel ISEF projects have the same requirements.

Let me know, if you need any more details and thanks!

-Wendy
John Dreher
Former Expert
Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: intel STS project eligibility

Post by John Dreher »

I do not know enough about the Intel program to help you. I have posted an appeal to our other experts, several of whom have a good deal of science fair experience, so watch here for a reply from one of these folks. Sorry for the extra layer in the Q & A process; I hope the extra delay will not be too long.
wendeli
Project Question: Eligibility of my science project
Project Due Date: 11/1/12
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by wendeli »

Thanks :) Still doing research on this and hoping I can understand enough of the theory behind it. Can't wait to hear from people who actually understand science competitions >.<
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by amyc »

Hi Wendy - As you think about your project and research, I wanted to point out a few Science Buddies resources that may be helpful to you, both in considering the question of "what qualifies as original research" and in planning an advanced project for top competition, as you are doing.

I think you may find this round table discussion from some previous advanced science competition participants particularly insightful: Finding an Idea for an Advanced Science Fair Project https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... 2008.shtml

Other resources I would encourage you to review:
Roadmap: How to Get Started on an Advanced Science Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... dmap.shtml

How to Be Successful at a Top Science Competition: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... cess.shtml

I hope these are helpful!

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Getting Started”