Telling professor about science fair

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

researcher3
Project Question: Ovarian cancer
Project Due Date: January 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Telling professor about science fair

Post by researcher3 »

Dear Science Buddies,

I have started working in a lab and the professor says that I can do my own research project if i want to, or she could give me some ideas on areas to research.

The professor knows that I have done science fair in the past (and done well), but I do not think she knows that I want to do science fair this year too. How should I tell her about wanting to present my research in science fair?

Thanks.
Last edited by researcher3 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Telling professor about science fair

Post by theborg »

researcher3,

Thank you for your questions and interest in science.

The short answer is YES. Definitely talk to your professor about presenting your research. From what you've already told us, it sounds like she would be a very valuable resource for you. She should be able to help scope the project so it meets fair guidelines without being overly complex.

About your schedule, I don't know what F and G periods are or what sort of time you have available. I suggest you discuss this with your professor to work out what the best mix of schedule vs workload is to complete the project satisfactorily within the allotted time. Keep in mind to leave time available to do your "other" stuff...I'm sure you have other classes and/or activities you'll have to support. It doesn't do to over-extend yourself and risk failure in one or more of your endeavors.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Getting Started”