I'm Taking Pre-Cal: Any Past Experience and Advice?

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

Jacobie09
Project Question: Not applicable: I do random projects all the time just for fun (although I turn in all my results)
Project Due Date: Not applicable
Project Status: Not applicable

I'm Taking Pre-Cal: Any Past Experience and Advice?

Post by Jacobie09 »

Anyone?
The subject I hate is the subject I love: Math
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: I'm Taking Pre-Cal: Any Past Experience and Advice?

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. That is a very broad question. Do you have specific questions related to a science project you are working on?
Deana
AstroPie
Project Question: I would like to base my project on AstroPhysics, I have thought about looking at Cosmology/Cosmic Inflation, but I really have no idea where to go with it, especially since I live where there aren't any labratories, can you help come up with ideas?
Project Due Date: My Regional Science Fair will be sometime in March, but I am planning on attending National Science Fair for a second year which is in May; I have lots of time but lots to do.
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by AstroPie »

I am in Pre-Cal Grade 11 last year I got 97%, most is fairly easy, radicals would be the only difficult part send me if u need help
drowningfish
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by drowningfish »

Hello,

My advice for any math class is the importance of understanding concepts or ideas, not memorizing steps to solving a problem or memorizing formulas. Sometimes memorizing a formula may be helpful because you can solve a problem faster, but make sure you understand why a formula works and why you should use it in a certain situation. If you don't understand a certain topic, make sure to ask questions to understand it. Do not just let it pass by, thinking you won't see it again after a test--they will come back.

Some topics I remember learning from pre-calc are limits, trig, transformation of graphs, logarithmic and exponential functions, inverses, domain and range of functions, parametric and polar equations, etc.
Jacobie09
Project Question: Not applicable: I do random projects all the time just for fun (although I turn in all my results)

Post by Jacobie09 »

My teacher said she wanted me to use pre-cal in a science project. What type of project could I do???
AstroPie
Project Question: I would like to base my project on AstroPhysics, I have thought about looking at Cosmology/Cosmic Inflation, but I really have no idea where to go with it, especially since I live where there aren't any labratories, can you help come up with ideas?
Project Due Date: My Regional Science Fair will be sometime in March, but I am planning on attending National Science Fair for a second year which is in May; I have lots of time but lots to do.
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by AstroPie »

It is true, understanding fully how the formulas work will make everything much easier and you will know how to change and write your own equations. This is really important for when you get into surface area, etc and quadratic equations (factoring)

If you want a project with pre-cal, do a project on physics, math is very much involved. Last year I made it to CWSF by doing a project based around refraction. there is actually a good refraction project under topics of this website. It is quite simple, the sugar makes the laser pointer refract more so you can measure differant amounts of sugar contents and calculate the refraction.
Jacobie09

Post by Jacobie09 »

Thanks Astro! That really helped.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Have you looked at the Science Buddies Project Ideas page? You can search for topics based on topic, grade level, difficulty, etc. Or, you can complete a brief survey on what your interests are, and they will provide suggested topics. Try taking a look at the page, and be sure to write back if you are still having problems finding a topic.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... deas.shtml

Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”