Searching for Phosphate Buffer Solution pH 7 (500mL)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

audreylilian
Project Question: I am doing your "Water to Fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future" project. All the materials necessary for this project available to me or orderable except for the Phosphate buffer solution, pH 7 (500mL).. So I was wondering if you knew anywhere I could order this from (in Canada) or what is used to make it!
Project Due Date: The project is due in December/January I believe, but my Hypothesis is due by the end of the week.. so I need to know whether or not I can order the materials to be able to do the project or not ASAP.
Project Status: I am just starting

Searching for Phosphate Buffer Solution pH 7 (500mL)

Post by audreylilian »

I am a grade 11 student and I'm doing Science Buddies' project "Water to fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future", and one of the materials needed is a Phosphate Buffer Solution with a pH of 7. The link to this stuff that Science Buddies has given is sold out! I have asked the local pharmacies, the local aquarium and nobody has it. Do you know anywhere else I could order some online? I live in Canada, so it needs to be from a Canadian source. I found a couple of places but all they have is the solution pH of 7.4 (would that make a difference?) or they only have large/expensive quantities. My deadlines are coming up and I really need to find some!
audreylilian
Project Question: I am doing your "Water to Fuel to Water: The Fuel Cycle of the Future" project. All the materials necessary for this project available to me or orderable except for the Phosphate buffer solution, pH 7 (500mL).. So I was wondering if you knew anywhere I could order this from (in Canada) or what is used to make it!
Project Due Date: The project is due in December/January I believe, but my Hypothesis is due by the end of the week.. so I need to know whether or not I can order the materials to be able to do the project or not ASAP.

Re: Searching for Phosphate Buffer Solution pH 7 (500mL)

Post by audreylilian »

Also, does the buffer solution with a pH of 7 need to be Phosphate Buffer Solution or can it be just Buffer solution? And how many mL of the buffer would you say will be used each time you fill up a beaker (or what sized beakers)? (Here is a link to the project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary) I suppose I am looking for help from a Science Buddies expert or somebody who has done the project before.
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by amyc »

Hi Audreylilian -

Another student recently asked about this in the forums. Here is a link to one Expert's reply (she includes a recipe for making the solution):

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... fer#p38029

I apologize that you did not receive a reply to your question last week. If you have follow-up questions, please post here, and I will try and ensure that an Expert offers some assistance.

Amy
Science Buddies
audreylilian

Post by audreylilian »

Thank you so much!
That helps a lot!
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by amyc »

Great! I am happy to hear that information helps. I also wanted to let you know that the kit for this Project Idea is now available in the Science Buddies Store. If you do have trouble procuring the chemicals for the buffer solution, this might be an alternative approach:

https://store.sciencebuddies.org/Chem_p ... l-Kit.aspx

Amy
Science Buddies
tyber
Project Question: To help in encouraging youth's interest in the scientific community
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by tyber »

If you already have a phosphate buffer solution at a different pH, you can always titrate the solution to pH 7 as long as you have a pH meter to measure it. For example, if you have a phosphate buffer solution that is pH 7.4, monitoring with a pH meter, add dropwise (one drop at a time) 1N HCL solution till the desired pH is reached.(careful as this will not take very much!)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”