Need help on how to make a graph for my science fair project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ButterFingers101
Project Question: Which bread type will grow mold faster, wheat or white?
Project Due Date: 11-28-12
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Need help on how to make a graph for my science fair project

Post by ButterFingers101 »

So my project is about which bread grows mold faster while stored in a cabinet at room temperature, wheat or white. Im done and my result was that wheat grew mold faster, i did 3 trials. For my project, i need to make a table and a graph, i know tht the table is supposed to be the data tht i recorded during the experiment, but then they want me to do a graph on my experiment..... how do i make a graph on mold growth on bread??? help??? Google didnt. :|
klhjbh62604
Project Question: Ask the Expert Volunteer.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need help on how to make a graph for my science fair pro

Post by klhjbh62604 »

Hello Butterfingers101:

I am glad you have finished your project, and now it is time to present your data. Below is a link on information for making scientific graphs:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#keyinfo

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions while making your graph.
klhjbh62604
drowningfish
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need help on how to make a graph for my science fair pro

Post by drowningfish »

Hello,

Usually when we make graphs, we want to put the independent variable on the x-axis and the dependent variable on the y-axis. I would suggest making a bar graph with type of bread on the x-axis, so the categories are white or wheat. For each category, you will have three bars for the three trials. Time it took for the mold to grow (or whatever you measured) will be on the y-axis.

Another option is to have trial 1, trial 2, and trial 3 as categories on the x-axis. For each trial you will have two bars: wheat and white. This option is better if you want side-by-side comparison of the types of bread. The graph might look similar to this (except you will have trials instead of sports, and wheat/ white instead of girls/ boys):

Hope this helps.
Drowning Fish

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”