Science Fair HELP!

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

s_khurjekar17
Project Question: We am doing: Sucrose & Glucose & Fructose, Oh My! Uncovering Hidden Sugar in Your Food and we cannot figure out how you figure out the original sucrose concentration and/or the percent sucrose converted. HELP!
Project Due Date: 2/20/13
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Science Fair HELP!

Post by s_khurjekar17 »

I am doing: Sucrose & Glucose & Fructose, Oh My! Uncovering Hidden Sugar in Your Food and I cannot figure how to determine/calculate the original sucrose concentration and/or the percent of sucrose converted! HELP!!!! This is due TOMORROW! :?:
Limeybean
Former Expert
Project Question: Science Fairs are Awesome!
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair HELP!

Post by Limeybean »

Hi s_khurjekar17,

Sucrose & Glucose & Fructose, Oh My! Uncovering Hidden Sugar in Your Food is a great project. So you started the experiment with a 10% sucrose solution (6 g sucrose / 60 ml water), but it might be easier to think about it as a decimal (0.10).

If you change your concentrations of sugars to decimals and then use the equation below it might make more sense.

Original sucrose concentration × Glucose concentration at linear time point = Percentage of sucrose converted

Good luck,
Emily
s_khurjekar17
Project Question: We am doing: Sucrose & Glucose & Fructose, Oh My! Uncovering Hidden Sugar in Your Food and we cannot figure out how you figure out the original sucrose concentration and/or the percent sucrose converted. HELP!

Post by s_khurjekar17 »

Thank you, but I still have one question, about how much is a normal amount of original sucrose concentration for a liquid just to give an estimate? And also, to find out the percentage of sucrose converted, do you just do the reading after invertase subtracted by the reading before invertase?

Thanks Emily :)
Limeybean
Former Expert
Project Question: Science Fairs are Awesome!
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Limeybean »

Hi s_khurjekar17,

It sounds like you are on the right track. If you know the concentration of glucose before and after adding intertase, than you should be able to rearrange the equation and get the original sucrose concentration.

Cheers,
Emily
s_khurjekar17

Post by s_khurjekar17 »

But what is the amount of sucrose converted then?

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”