Questions for an Electrical or Computer Hardware Engineer

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

tmsx10
Project Question: I have to interview a computer hardware or electrical engineer.
Project Due Date: May 3, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Questions for an Electrical or Computer Hardware Engineer

Post by tmsx10 »

I am a high school student that is hoping to get an engineering degree and for a project I have to interview an electrical or computer hardware engineer. I was wondering if you guys/gals can answer these questions. It would be most appreciated.
Name:
Company:
Describe a typical day on the job.
Describe an extraordinary day on the job.
Does the job require reading? What type(s)?
Approximately how much time is spent reading per day?
Does the job require writing? What type(s)?
Approximately how much time is spent writing per day?
Does the job require formal speaking?
Does the job require tests be taken to re-certify?
Are courses necessary to recertify? What types? How often?
If you went back to high school, what courses do you wish you would have taken or paid more attention to?
Of the skills you learned in high school, which ones have helped you the most in your occupation?
If you want to advance, what would you need to do?
k4gfwgerry
Former Expert
Occupation: Retired Electronics Engineer from Motorola Solutions
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Questions for an Electrical or Computer Hardware Enginee

Post by k4gfwgerry »

Name: Gerald Gruenbaum, BSEE, MSEE
Company: Motorola Solutions
Describe a typical day on the job.: Computer Aided Circuit design, testing, writing results, etc.
Describe an extraordinary day on the job.: Submit patent disclosures, Present operations report to management
Does the job require reading? What type(s)?: Yes, Engineering design magazines
Approximately how much time is spent reading per day? 1 - 2 hours
Does the job require writing? What type(s)? Yes. Technical writing. Engineering logbook
Approximately how much time is spent writing per day? 1 - 2 hours
Does the job require formal speaking? Yes. In any job one has to present some type of operations report to Management
Does the job require tests be taken to re-certify? Only jobs that require a PE (professional engineer) certification. This is usually required only for government positions.
Are courses necessary to recertify? What types? How often? This varies with the type of certification.
If you went back to high school, what courses do you wish you would have taken or paid more attention to? Math, Physics, Chemistry, etc.
Of the skills you learned in high school, which ones have helped you the most in your occupation? Math, Physics
If you want to advance, what would you need to do? This is a tough one. My advise is to clearly write and speak as well as being able to sell yourself in terms of contributions to your employer. Use Dollar impact since that is the language of business. Always treat others as your customers (e.g. ,management, coworkers, outside customers). Always strive to delight your customers.

The last question is very important. It helped me achieve a successful career for 44 years.
Best wishes to you on your future success.
Gerry Gruenbaum
Science Buddies "Ask an Expert" Volunteer
Ggipunjab
Project Question: I am a student and doing the civil engineering and i have some queries about my study..
Project Due Date: 17 july
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Questions for an Electrical or Computer Hardware Enginee

Post by Ggipunjab »

Nice question,

But i am not doing the job...
Find and search B.Tech colleges in Punjab
Website - http://ggi.ac.in/btech_it.html

Return to “Careers in Science”