Does the size of a soccer ball impact the curve?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

greenblazer1
Project Question: Does the size of a soccer ball impact the curve or bend when kicked?
Project Due Date: November 7, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Does the size of a soccer ball impact the curve?

Post by greenblazer1 »

Need assistance/suggestions on how to design the experiment. Hypothesis is the size of a soccer ball impacts the curve or bend when kicked, size 5 will have more bend due to more force, air flow, spin, than smaller size soccer balls. Using ball sizes from mini to 5. One person kicking each soccer ball, three times. Video taping kicker. Using indoor facilities - no impact of wind on the ball. How to measure the bend? Suggestions?
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Does the size of a soccer ball impact the curve?

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello, and welcome to Science Buddies! A great question you will be exploring in your experiment.

I think you are off to a great start in designing your experiment. Your hypothesis is sound, and you are collecting multiple data points per condition. By running the experiment indoors, you are attempting to control outside factors that could cause variability in your data.

I would like for you to think about one portion of your current design. By having a human kick the ball, there will be some variance in the angle and with what force the ball will be kicked. What will this variance do to your results? Can you think of a way to conduct your experiment to try and minimize or eliminate this variability?

As far as measuring, perhaps you can lay down tape at measured intervals down range from where the ball will be kicked to measure distance and cross ways to measure "bend."

I hope this helps. Feel free to write back if you have further questions. Good luck and have fun with your project!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”