Measuring results from a detergent experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kelvica
Project Question: My son wants to try the project comparing detergents with and without enzymes but doesn't have a way of measuring the color results there was previously an aplet the someone posted but it doesn't seem to work any longer. Can someone help. Thanks in advance.
Project Due Date: 04/2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Measuring results from a detergent experiment

Post by kelvica »

Hi all,

My son wants to try the science experiment with the enzyme free detergent and enzyme detergent to see which removes stains the best. His teacher is concerned that he won't be able to measure the quanitative data (measuring the stains) Is there some sort of application that someone can suggest? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Measuring results from a detergent experiment

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi,

I am sorry to get this information to you so late. Once, I worked in a consumer products testing lab and my division tested textiles. One of the tests was to wash clothes and fabrics to test how well they held up during nirmal washing/use. We would look at color/brightness, and sometimes we would have to stain the fabrics in order to test stain removal.

When judging the color changes, we used a large board with many shades of each color on it and we would match the color on the fabric to the color on the board, and note how it changed over washings. You can mimic this method using paint chips from the hardware store. When judging stainsm you could make a chart something lkike this to use for ratings:

Score - description
0 - no stain removal. stain appears same initial size with distinct boarders
1 - slight decreasing of stain. Stain size is slightly smaller with the middle being slightly lighter in color.

Does that help? Depending on what you use for staining (chocolate syrup vs grass vs oil), you would make a chart to describe the stain differently.

Tonya

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”