the effect of salt on the temperature of ice-water mixture

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

sami

the effect of salt on the temperature of ice-water mixture

Post by sami »

the experiment of my topic is boring and it is too late to change the topic .do you have any suggestions to make it more interestings?
MaryB
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MaryB »

Hi Sami,

Maybe you could re-phrase your question to something like "how does salt concentration affect the freezing of water?"

Some questions to think about are:
what affect does salt concentration have on the temperature of ice water? what affect does salt have on ice? how would you relate this to a real life situation(s)?

You could also think about using other common substances and test their affect on water freezing. Think about what impurities might be found in water in the environment or maybe substances that are spread on icy roads.

If you try relate your question to real life situations maybe it will be more interesting to you.

I hope this helps,

Mary
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Post by carolinethorn »

i think Mary is right. if you make the project more interesting to you by relating it to something from real life then you will make it more interesting to the judges too.

i have another slightly different example of what could make this research more interesting, but you might want to do some more background to help explain why.

a lot of people would say that there used to be more frozen ponds and rivers to skate on when they were children. (this is called anecdotal evidence)
could one of the reasons why this happens less be because there are more pollutants in the water?
what does your research suggest??

best of luck,
Caroline

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”