Electrolyte Challenge:OJ VS Sport drinks

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

oliveoil3
Project Question: Orange Juice VS sport drinks
Project Due Date: January 7, 2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Electrolyte Challenge:OJ VS Sport drinks

Post by oliveoil3 »

Help!!!

I just finished the experiment Electrolyte Challenge OJ VS Sports Drinks. I just completed 10 trials of 5 different drinks using my multimeter. Please review my reading and let me know if they sound accurate.The following readings are an average of 10 trials using 5 different drinks:

Distilled Water 28.65 microamps
PowerAde 24.56 milliamps
Gatorade 16.78 milliamps
OJ 27.72 milliamps
Tap Water 3.4 milliamps

After I got the average of 10 trials I then divided distilled water (microamps) by 1,000,000 and all other liquids (milliamps) by 1,000 to convert both readings to Amps, correct? After that, I used the equation to solve for Siemens (conductance) which is actually the electolytes, correct? The equation is G (siemens)= I(current) divided by V (voltage 9 for 9 volt battery used). Is this correct? My final numbers for the Siemens/electrolytes were as follows:

distilled water .0000031
tap water .0003777
PowerAde .0027288
Gatorade .0018644
OJ .00308

Does my final numbers sound correct?

Help!!!! My graphs and tables are due Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014. I am putting the data together now and wanted to make sure I am on the right track.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Electrolyte Challenge:OJ VS Sport drinks

Post by tdaly »

Hi oliveoil3,

Your results look reasonable. There is a section in the project FAQ about the kinds of numbers you should be getting:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... shtml#help

Your unit conversions appear correct, too.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”