Science Fair Project

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Rajivnair
Project Question: Factors contributing to Oscillating Reactions in Chemical Solutions
Project Due Date: February 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Science Fair Project

Post by Rajivnair »

Hi, I just wanted to ask you guys that suppose I have a certain purpose for my project, do I have to elaborate it using my data and analysis? For example, I researched and found out a source for the purpose of my project about "Factors Contributing to Reaction Rates of Oscillating Reactions" which said that oscillating reactions have medical purposes. Will it be helpful to do my project by experimenting HOW these reactions contribute to medical purposes? Or is it fine that I just state those are the purposes of oscillating reactions and experiment of the factors that influence the reaction rates of such reactions? Thanks!

Rajiv Nair

P.S. I am posting the link for the source. Please tell me if the source if legit and that the purposes stated in the page are true. The purposes are stated in the second page in the second paragraph under the sub-heading Abstract.
http://www.math.udel.edu/~rossi/Math512/2003/br5.pdf
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair Project

Post by tdaly »

Hello Rajivnair,

The goal of your experiment should be to answer your question. The data that you collect and the way you analyze your data should help you answer that question. The Science Buddies Project Guide is a wealth of information you may find helpful as you plan your project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... dex.shtml/

Since your project is due in February, I would recommend doing an experiment about the Briggs-Rauscher reaction itself, and then mention some of the reasons why the reaction is important in your conclusion section or research report.

The link you posted appears to be a lab report from an upper undergraduate or introductory graduate course. I can't vouch for the validity of their applications. They don't cite any sources supporting those statements, so you can't go back to the original.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”