My Project: urgent! need help from expert

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

kjchapman

My Project: urgent! need help from expert

Post by kjchapman »

My project is the effect of oysters on the water quality of the Chesapeake Bay. In order to test for this i got 4 tanks full of bay water and put about 2 inches of sand in the bottom of each (each tank had equal amounts of sand and water all retrieved from the same place). in the first tank i put 0 oysters, in the second 7 oysters, in the third 14 oysters and in the fourth 21 oysters. I tested for pH, nitrite, ammonia and nitrate for 2 weeks straight testing every other day and then i would start a new trial. I have done 3 trials and i am wondering the best way to graph my results and how to display my raw data. what is raw data? my teacher keeps telling me I need it but i'm not entirely sure I know what she means. So please if you have any suggestions respond to me!
Thanks a bunch!
kelly
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

What is your teacher telling you to do? It sounds like the best way to graph your data would be a line graph. Plot the pH, etc against a time period (days, etc.) and then look for trends. Microsoft Excel can do this.
All the best,
Terik
kjchapman

Post by kjchapman »

thats what she said but i was slightly unsure what I should be graphing. Should I graph all my data from day 1 to day 14 or should I graph an average of all 3 Trials combined? or maybe graph the last day and compare my results at day 14? which one would be best for getting in to the science fair?
thank!

kelly
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

I would reccomend graphing each trial separately. I also suggest graphing all of your data from day 1 to day 14.
All the best,
Terik
thetrans1ent

Post by thetrans1ent »

Raw data refers to unprocessed data. The easiest way to show this would be to include a table with all the numbers you recorded. Ideally this table would precede your graphs. As Terik said, graphing each trial separately would probably be best.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”