Word Problem Solver

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

EC314
Project Question: Colouring Flowers and How it Relates to the Fibonacci Sequence
Project Due Date: August 25th, 2014
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Word Problem Solver

Post by EC314 »

Hello!

I have an idea of making a program for solving mathematical word problems(aka applications of math). However, I do not have any experience in computer programming. Does my idea sound too crazy? How can I get started and what programming languages can I use?

Thank you!
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Word Problem Solver

Post by dcnick96 »

Hi! Wow. That is quite the topic you have challenged yourself with. Based on a quick Google search, there are programs available to solve math word problems, and they are all expensive! That confirmed my guess that this is not an easy or quick project. I don't like to discourage students, especially when they show interest in challenging / complex projects; but I will offer a note of caution. This is a complex problem that may not be feasible in the amount of time you probably have to do your science project, especially if you are trying to learn computer programming at the same time. Your program will have to recognize a near infinite number of word combinations and know how to translate into mathematical operators in the right order.

Is it solving math problems or computer programming that peaks your interest with this topic? Go through the topic selection wizard below. You can narrow down topics based on things such as time available, complexity, and topics. Perhaps you can find a topic still within the realm of your areas of interest?
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... gister.php

If you still wish to pursue, I'm not sure which programming language would be best.

Perhaps other experts can chime in with ideas for you to accomplish your original topic. If you decide to change your topic and would like help, run through the topic selection wizard and write back with your thoughts.

Best of luck!
Deana
EC314
Project Question: Colouring Flowers and How it Relates to the Fibonacci Sequence
Project Due Date: August 25th, 2014
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by EC314 »

Thank you for your prompt reply, Deana! Yes, I realized the problem of timing and unfortunately, had to change my topic to something else. Thank you for your advice!

EC
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

You are welcome! I hope you found an exciting topic. Good luck, and have fun!
Deana

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”