Is it possible to store Wifi or any internet connection?

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Garytan98
Project Question: Storing Wifi
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

Is it possible to store Wifi or any internet connection?

Post by Garytan98 »

I really wanted to join the google science fair and was wondering if it is posssible to create a device that would be able to store wifi in any way! Really need some expert's help because i cant find any website about this information. Closest device would be the Seagate wireless plus
k4gfwgerry
Former Expert
Occupation: Retired Electronics Engineer from Motorola Solutions
Project Question: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Is it possible to store Wifi or any internet connection?

Post by k4gfwgerry »

Dear Garytan98 -
The term WiFi refers to a wireless protocol used to connect various wireless devices (PCs, cameras, cell phones, etc.) to another device or the internet. Thus you cannot "store" WiFi but I believe you want to store content (music, videos, files, etc.) from another device or the Internet using WiFi. The Seagate product you referenced is basically a storage device (like a hard drive) that connects wirelessly using its own WiFi network (rather than the Internet) to another device to store content without using the internet. You can of course download content from the Internet on any device and save it on the Seagate wireless plus.

Having said all this I believe that the Seagate Wireless Plus is the device that you have described. You may want to work on a better understanding of WiFi and the Internet, the proper nomenclature and the theory of operation.

Good luck with you project.
Gerry
Gerry Gruenbaum
Science Buddies "Ask an Expert" Volunteer
Garytan98
Project Question: Storing Wifi
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Is it possible to store Wifi or any internet connection?

Post by Garytan98 »

Dear Gerry,

Sorry for the usage of wrong vocabulary, but what i actually meant was a device that could store internet just like a powerbank storing power to charge our phone but instead of power is it possible to store internet so we could access to internet wherever we are. so basically my idea was like a broadband but it doesnt produce its own connection but instead store it from a wifi! I'm not very good at explaining. hopefully u get it!

Thanks

Return to “Careers in Science”