Where to buy sample metals for science fair project online

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

bill.blattner

Where to buy sample metals for science fair project online

Post by bill.blattner »

My son is doing a project on corroding metals. He wants to use iron, carbon steel, and copper. We were able to find similar samples of "moldable" steel (I hope I got that right) and copper, but could not find iron anywhere. We checked hardware stores and crafts stores. Does anyone know of an online source for such materials? We'd be looking for small samples of the several metals. E.g., at the hardware store we found 1/8" diamter steel and copper tubes.
Ceal Craig

Re: Where to buy sample metals for science fair project onli

Post by Ceal Craig »

bill.blattner wrote:My son is doing a project on corroding metals. He wants to use iron, carbon steel, and copper. We were able to find similar samples of "moldable" steel (I hope I got that right) and copper, but could not find iron anywhere. We checked hardware stores and crafts stores. Does anyone know of an online source for such materials? We'd be looking for small samples of the several metals. E.g., at the hardware store we found 1/8" diamter steel and copper tubes.
Mr. Blattner, my typical first sources for items like this are:
Carolina Biological
Science Kit
Edmund Scientifics

Also, you might look in the yellow pages and check out scrap metal places. In many locations, firms sell old parts/materials for much less than a retail science outfit would. Next, look in your local yellow pages for "science supplies".

If you happen to be in the Bay Area: Triangle Machinery on Commercial in San Jose and Alumunum Resource Center on De La Cruz in San Jose (SUnnyvale?) are two such spots.

That should get you started.

GOod luck!
Ceal Craig
Ask an Expert Forum/Coach
Science Buddies
bill.blattner

thanks for the references

Post by bill.blattner »

Carolina Biologicals had something close enough to what I needed.

Thanks! :D

Bill Blattner

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”