Programming Nanorgs in a virtual world(please help)

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

kaleb1234
Project Question: Hi i have done research and everything for my project but the problem is that i can't download the file the proper way.I have read the other questions similar to this but i just can't get the program to work because it only flashes for about half a second then disappears. I have a Microsoft 8.1 computer and i have even tried it on a Microsoft 7 but it still doesn't work.
Project Due Date: My project is due in about a week but i think i can ask my teacher for a few days extension
Project Status: I am just starting

Programming Nanorgs in a virtual world(please help)

Post by kaleb1234 »

I have looked into nearly all the questions to find my answer but i can't truly find one that answers my question.
I don't know how to run the contest06 program.
someone had a similar problem(CONTEST06 program opening for about .2 seconds) but i am still not sure if we are actually supposed to run the contest program or use cmd to use the contest06 information.(where do you get the results)
i would really appreciate it if someone can give me a detailed instruction on how to actually use all the material for the PROGRAMMING NANORGS IN A VIRTUAL WORLD project.
oh and i have a windows 8.1 computer and i have done the unzipping/extracting part but i don't know how to get the results.
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Programming Nanorgs in a virtual world(please help)

Post by bfinio »

Hi kaleb1234:

To run the program, you need to type commands at the windows command prompt. You do not just double-click the icon like you normally would to run a program in windows. I do not have Windows 8.1 but I googled "windows 8.1 command prompt" and found directions on how to open one:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8 ... dows-8.htm

Then, carefully follow the directions in the "Assembling and Testing Your NANORGs" section here (about halfway down the page):

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

To run the sample file that you download from our site, you would type

Code: Select all

contest06.exe -p:samplebot.asm
When you create your own file, you replace "samplebot" with your filename.

Let me know if that helps.

-Ben
kaleb1234
Project Question: Hi i have done research and everything for my project but the problem is that i can't download the file the proper way.I have read the other questions similar to this but i just can't get the program to work because it only flashes for about half a second then disappears. I have a Microsoft 8.1 computer and i have even tried it on a Microsoft 7 but it still doesn't work.
Project Due Date: My project is due in about a week but i think i can ask my teacher for a few days extension

Post by kaleb1234 »

Hi Ben
Thank you so much for responding and i put in the code into command prompt but it says that THIS APP CAN'T RUN ON YOUR PC
should i try it on a different computer or should i just try look for a program that can run on cmd?
I also tried this with a windows 7 computer and it said [img]contest06.exe[/img] is not recogized as an internal or external command
thank you for our help.
kaleb1234

Post by kaleb1234 »

i finally figured it out

Thank you and i truly appreciate your help
kaleb1234

Post by kaleb1234 »

i finally figured it out

Thank you and i truly appreciate your help
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Glad you got it working! Out of curiosity, which PC did you get it working on? I have gotten the program working with little trouble on Windows Vista and 7 PCs, but don't have a Windows 8 computer to test.
kaleb1234

Post by kaleb1234 »

I got it working on the Windows computer and i did exactly the same thing for Widows 8.1 but it says that THIS APP CAN'T RUN ON YOU PC- TO FIND A VERSION FOR YOUR PC, CHECK WITH THE SOFTWARE PUBLISHER

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”