Research Ideas

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

John C Calhoun
Project Question: Will a set of dATP, dCTP, dGTP, and dTTP at a 100 mM concentration with 10 μmoles of each triphosphate contain at least 0.04 μl of each?
Project Due Date: March
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Research Ideas

Post by John C Calhoun »

How do PhD students and researchers in general come up with good ideas so experiment with and later publish. Furthermore, how do you know if something is worth publishing?
masallin
Project Question: I would like to participate on Science Buddies as an expert.
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Research Ideas

Post by masallin »

Hi John,

This is an interesting question. I know from my experience in research, as a graduate student and now as a post-doctoral fellow, is that scientist look for "gaps" in knowledge in their field of expertise, and then ask scientific questions in order to fill in the gaps. For example, my research involves working on the CD4 T cell response to tuberculosis. In the field of tuberculosis, immunologists know that CD4 T cells are required for protection against tuberculosis, but how the details on how CD4 T cells mediate this protection is unclear. So in the lab I work in we are interested in characterizing this mechanism. Another example, is my thesis question was to understand the mechanism of action of antibody therapy for cancer treatment. We knew this therapy worked, but we did not know how. So my research involved trying to understand the mechanism of action.

The decision about whether research is publishable is dependent upon each investigator. My personal belief is that as a researcher you have to make sure the phenomenon you have observed is reproducible. Then the next thing is to make sure that the finding is going to move the field forward. It depends on how much impact your results have on the field as to what journal you will decide to submit your work.

I hope this answers your question.

Michelle
arnlan
Project Question: I have completed the Bacterial Transformation Efficiency Project. I have advanced to the STATE Scence Fair.
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Research Ideas

Post by arnlan »

Hey Michelle,

I just read your post to john on research ideas.

Next year, I'm thinking on testing the effect of bile salts on cancer cells or mammalian cells. A few years ago, my sister did an experiment on using the bile salts as a detergent and it actually worked better than the normal detergent. So I just thought of using it and applying it into microbiology. From your past knowledge, do you think there might be some favorable results if I do test it? Does it even make sense to use bile? I would appreciate your inputs. Is there any other fluids that have not been tested that I can look into?

I maybe can even try using maybe, 2 or even 3 cancer cells and find the one it works with. I just have many ideas flowing in, but they are probably tested or are just stupid and don't make sense.

I read what you do as a proffession and, I would like to know more about it. I'm still open to any ideas on a project that I could test next year. I already have a lab that I can work in in a nearby institution so work area is not much of a problem.

I will appreciate your favorable response!!!! :D

Thanks!!!
-ARNLAN
+-+-+-+-+-
Best,
-Arnlan

Return to “Careers in Science”