Project Kit question: Antibodies & Blood-typing

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Gilliansc
Project Question: My son is using the kit "How are antibodies used for blood typing?" For his science fair project. The kit uses synthetic blood samples/simulated anti-serum. He wants to know if it's possible to use it to type his own blood?
Project Due Date: Tuesday, April 28th 2015
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Project Kit question: Antibodies & Blood-typing

Post by Gilliansc »

Hi there, my son used the Science Buddies kit, "How are Antibodies used for Blood Typing?" for his recent science fair project. The kit uses synthetic blood samples and simulated anti-serum: his question is whether he can use the kit to type his own (or other) real blood? His science fair is Tuesday night (April 28th) and he thought it would be pretty cool to actually type some real blood as part of his project! Thanks for your help :)
SandbaggerOne
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer expert.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Project Kit question: Antibodies & Blood-typing

Post by SandbaggerOne »

Excellent question. I have no idea how the kit is formulated. Try here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... shtml#help
Email help@sciencebuddies.org
If you have purchased a kit for this project from Science Buddies, we are pleased to answer any question not addressed by the FAQ above.

In your email, please follow these instructions:
What is your Science Buddies kit order number?
Please describe how you need help as thoroughly as possible:

Examples

Good Question I'm trying to do Experimental Procedure step #5, "Scrape the insulation from the wire. . ." How do I know when I've scraped enough?
Good Question I'm at Experimental Procedure step #7, "Move the magnet back and forth . . ." and the LED is not lighting up.
Bad Question I don't understand the instructions. Help!
Good Question I am purchasing my materials. Can I substitute a 1N34 diode for the 1N25 diode called for in the material list?
Bad Question Can I use a different part?
Cheers,
Colin

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”