sampling method and proposed research design

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

devo93
Project Question: setting up a research experiment (doesn't have to actually be conducted- just for the paper) i am unsure as to the kind of design it is, and the internal and external validity concerns.
Project Due Date: 5/3/2015
Project Status: I am conducting my research

sampling method and proposed research design

Post by devo93 »

i am writing a methods section for a research paper. i have to design a study and identify all parts- sampling method, research design, and internal/external validity problems.

i am designing a study to see if halo effect exists in a classroom - specifically if beautiful students have an effect on grades given y their teachers.
we don't have to actually DO the study- just writ eup on it as if we are going to. therefore, i am saying that i will pick randomly one public school in each state. all the teachers grades 6-8 will be asked to participate. i will randomly separate them into groups. they will both receive a poorly written essay along with a grading rubric from the state department ( for regents) BUT one group will receive a picture of a beautiful boy or girl attached o the essay. they will be asked to grade the essay.
i want to see if the papers who had pictures attached will be graded higher.
MY QUESTIONS ARE-
1- WHAT TYPE OF RESEARCH DESIGN IS THIS. I THIK ITS A Quasi-experimental design ( quantitative research) but i am unsure.
2- what type of sampling methods is this? i think its stratified random sampling??
3- factors that may affect the internal and external validity of your proposed study
4- strengths and limitations of this study

this is due on sunday...so whatever answers you have are greatly appreciated!!!
thank you so much!!!!!

Return to “Careers in Science”