Does a cell phone conversation affect reaction time?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Jmyers21
Project Question: I am doing a project on reaction time when your driving.
Project Due Date: December 13, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Does a cell phone conversation affect reaction time?

Post by Jmyers21 »

I was wondering what the overall purpose was to the project? (Does a cell phone conversation affect reaction time) Is it to show people that your reflexes aren't as quick while your driving with distractions? So therefore more dangerous? Also, should I display my data in more ways than just a table and bar graph to show a greater understanding?
Thanks!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Does a cell phone conversation affect reaction time?

Post by tdaly »

Hi Jmyers21,

Welcome to the Ask an Expert forums.

The purpose of the project is to find out whether talking on a cell phone changes how quickly a person can respond to something. If your data indicate that people have slower reaction times when talking on the phone, then yes - your experiment showed that people's reflexes are not as quick, which has implications for driving while talking on a cell phone. If that was what your data indicate, then it is logical to say that driving and talking on the cell phone is more dangerous than driving without talking on the phone. But, it all depends on what your data show. The data always dictate your conclusion.

As far as presenting your data, bar graphs and data tables are good options. I think you will can show a greater understanding by doing some statistical test on your dataset, as well as being clear about what your experimental results show versus what you are extrapolating from your results. Your data relate to talking on the cell phone specifically; if you discuss "driving with distractions" you are extrapolating your data on cell phone usage to other types of distractions. Showing that you understand the difference will show a deeper understanding of your experiment’s strengths and weaknesses.
All the best,
Terik
deleted-299931
Project Question: 2015 Science Fair Project: Cellphone conversation reaction timing
Project Due Date: Oct. 12, 2015
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by deleted-299931 »

This is definitely nice to know. I'm using this experiment as my Science fair project. I'll probably print this so I remember the overall point of the project. Any good ideas for catchy names for this project? :idea: Is, "Go Slow motion, with your cellphone" a good one? any different :idea: s?
WarrenCountyGymnast2002
Project Question: Cellphone reaction timing
Project Due Date: Oct. 13
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by WarrenCountyGymnast2002 »

SciGirl4u,
How about: "Sell your time with your Cell" or even, "Cell to Brain, is that a Pain?" :)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”