Need help with multimeter!

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sciencecookie

Need help with multimeter!

Post by sciencecookie »

I'm doing the electrolyte challenge and I have a question with the multimeter. Can I set my multimeter to ADC 200m instead of DCA? My multimeter doesn't have a DCA setting on it.

Also, all of my readings are very low. I tested Powerade and I got 1.5 milliamps, which would be converted to around 0.0001666...7 electrolytes. Is it supposed to be that low?
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need help with multimeter!

Post by HowardE »

It's unusual for a meter to mark the DC amperage setting as ADC but some do it that way. If the volts setting is VDC then yes, the ADC setting is probably the one you want. I can confirm that by looking up the meter on the internet if you'd post back with the manufacturer and model number.

I haven't done the experiment myself so I don't know what the converted numbers come out to but you are expecting to read current as small number of milliamps.

Howard
sciencecookie

Post by sciencecookie »

It is a CRAFTSMAN Digital Multimeter 82015.

Thank you so much for your help :)
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HowardE »

Thanks for sending the model number. Yes, the 'ADC' section on the control is DC amps, and that meter has range settings for 200 microamps (uA), 2000 microamps or 2 milliamps, 20 milliamps , 200 milliamps and 10 amps. When making your readings, start with one of the higher settings, like the 200 milliamps range and if the numbers look low, switch to a lower scale until you get a number with more precision. Changing from the 200 milliamp settings by clicks down towards 200 microamps will effective multiply the usable range of the meter by 10. You should be able to get nice data with that meter.

Howard

(for people following along, it looks like this: Image)
sciencecookie

Post by sciencecookie »

Ok thank you so much! :D

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”