Energy drinks and plants

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

siljegrace

Energy drinks and plants

Post by siljegrace »

So I am going to do a science fair project involving energy drinks and plants. I am hoping to use tomato plants for my project, but I'm not sure where I would get them in November. I would have my base plant, which would drink water. And then I would have my other plants, which would drink gatorade, powerade, nuun, and a few others. I am not sure how to moniter sunlight, and temperature in my house, as I live in a cold climate. How do I keep this project more stable? In the beginning when I first thought of this idea I wanted to test it on people in my ski team. But that would have way too many variables for my data to be secure. My project also has to follow the scientific method. Any ideas to make my science project better?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Energy drinks and plants

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Cool project, although I have a little trouble figuring out how plants might use energy drinks designed for humans. If you could recruit a group of people who regularly use energy drinks as part of their work-out routine that would be the best way to do this project. Can't you find enough volunteers? All you would have to do is ask them to try a different energy drink from what they normally use and record how they felt, how well they were able to perform or any other differences that they might notice.

Does your school science fair rules prohibit using human volunteers? If so then I guess you are stuck with plants.

For a plant-based project I would choose seeds of a cool-weather plant like cabbage, radish or turnip greens. Tomatoes would not do very well in November in a cold climate.

I would try to do the original project that you had planned with volunteers using a specific energy drink and reporting how well it worked compared to their usual drink.

Good luck!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”