Lunar Simulation Material; Shock Metamorphism

Ask questions about your science fair project here. Please be specific and complete.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Lunar Simulation Material; Shock Metamorphism

Post by tdaly »

To Whom It May Concern,
My name is Terik Daly. I am a freshman at Oak Grove High School. I am currently researching a project dealing with the comparison of shock metamorphism on earth, to that on the moon. I am currently working with a professor, who is overseeing my research and experimentation. To obtain lunar material, my experimentation must be done first on simulation lunar material. I am looking for information on where to obtain lunar simulation material. Any help in this matter is appreciated. Thank you VERY much for donating time to Science Buddies.
All the best,
Terik
Ken

Looking for an Expert

Post by Ken »

Hi Terik,

I've contacted a well-connected astronomer to see if he knows anyone who might be able to help. I'll let you know.

Ken -- Science Buddies Staff
Ken

Source of Simulant

Post by Ken »

Terik,

My astronomer friend knew someone in the field who knew someone else..., who sent the reply below. I'll send you contact information separately. Ken -- Science Buddies Staff

Dear Mr. Daly,

I would be happy to provide you with a simulant for Apollo 11 mare basalt. I presume you want a rock sample rather than a crushed, ground, and sieved simulant for lunar "soil". Let me know the size and shape of sample you would like and I will send it to you along with a description of the sample from my work on lunar simulants.

Best regards, Paul Weiblen

Return to “General Questions”