Which product removes stains the best?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

joah

Which product removes stains the best?

Post by joah »

Hi,
I am doing a experiment on which product removes stains the best. I am going to soak a white cloth in grape juice for 30 minutes, and divide the cloth in six parts with a marker. Then I am going to pour 1 tsp of each product in their own part. I am using these six products:
• Water
• Dish washing liquid
• Liquid laundry detergent
• Stain remover
• Hand soap
• Bleach
Do you have any suggestions or inputs, are there other products that I should include to my experiment or have I overlooked something?
Thanks in advance for helping me :D
Joah
adylan
Project Question: Now You See It, Now You Don't! How Acidic Waters Make Rocks Disappear
Project Due Date: 4/24/19
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Which product removes stains the best?

Post by adylan »

Hi,
I think you should include soap bar. There is a difference between soap bar and hand soap.

Hope it's helpful,
adylan
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MadelineB »

Hi Joah,
This sounds like an interesting project. I do wonder how you plan to measure the outcome for each type of product? That is, how will you measure "removal" of the stain? You probably want to take pictures but you should also have some criteria for measuring removal.

I'm also wondering if it would be feasible to cut the cloth into separate pieces? If you did that, you could put each piece in a separate container to keep the products separate. If you keep them together, it would seem possible for one of the products to seep into one or more of the adjacent sections. If that happened, you would have a hard time determining which product contributed the most to the stain removal.

The suggestion to use a bar of soap also brings up the question whether you are planning to agitate the cloth for each of the products.

Were you going to apply the products to the wet cloth pieces or maybe wait until the cloth pieces had dried?

I know my suggestions are making more work for you, but I would also suggest that you might want to repeat the experiment at least 3 times.

You might find it helpful to browse through the projects in the Science Buddies project database just to see how similar projects handled some of these questions:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... e-projects

Be sure to let us know if any of these ideas helped and if you have more questions!
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Joah - in addition to the excellent advice Madeline offered above, you may want to look at the information in this Abbreviated Project Idea. It doesn't offer a full procedure, but you may find some of this discussion useful:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... n-removers

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”