Electroscope not working for science project experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kimmiekw

Electroscope not working for science project experiment

Post by kimmiekw »

My daughter and I are trying to do your static electricity experiment: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ty#summary

I know that the electroscope works to some degree because the styrofoam container caused the ball to move away from the aluminum pan. However we can't get any other material, including polyester, a feather, tissue paper, or plastic to work.

Do you have any suggestions for what we might try? So far her science fair project has been a disaster!

In addition--our wooden ruler totally attracts the aluminum ball making it nearly impossible to measure the space between the ball and the pan.

Also, it has been raining a lot here and is about 50% humidity. Is that too much humidity?

Thank you,
Kimberly

Moderator note: I combined your questions - so this post will show that it still needs a reply!
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Electroscope not working for science project experiment

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Kimberly - I am sorry to hear that there were problems with your student's static electricity experiment. Were you able to complete the project?

You mentioned humidity, and that could be a factor. The electroscope works best in dry conditions and may not work well in a room with a humidifier or on rainy, foggy, or muggy days.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”