An Aerobic Exercise: Yeast Metabolism with and without Aerat

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

x3nehaha

An Aerobic Exercise: Yeast Metabolism with and without Aerat

Post by x3nehaha »

Hello, PleasePleasePlease help me. Ohkay, its about the gas collection thing. How exactly WILL the gas be collected? Do i just stick the tube up the gas collection cylinder?? Will the water just be...pushed out of the tube and thats how I will know how much Carbon Dioxide is made?? PLEASE REPLY SOON. Thank youuu
Please reply as SOON as possible!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you can provide more information (e.g. purpose, procedures, etc), I will be able to help you better.

I'm unclear about your first two questions, but I assume that you are doing a project in which you measure the amount of CO2 given off be respiring anaerobic organisms. Is this correct? If you are doing such a project, the simple answer to your third question is yes; the volume of water displaced by the incoming gas can be thought of as the amount of CO2 produced by the experiment.
All the best,
Terik
x3nehaha

Post by x3nehaha »

Ohkay, in the procedure, [[because i will be measuring how much CO2 will be produced from the yeast with or without aeration]]. you have 2 bottles, one where you have yeast with air, and yeast without air. You cap the bottle with a cap that fits it and put a hole in the cap that is big enought to put aquarium tubing inside of it. It says you need to stick the aquarium tubing out just about 2 cm and put it in the gas collecting system [[an inverted graduated cylinder that is placed and filled with water]]. But what i dont' understand, is how can i make the aquarium plastic tubing go inside of the gas collecting system?? And will the graduated Cylinder just push the water out and thats how i can see how much CO2 is created? im sorry..if this makes no sense..i can't really explain it! :?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

No, your making perfect sense. I would suggest that you leave a lot more than two inches of tubing sticking out of the end of the bottle, probably about 2 feet. You can get a large container, like a large beaker and fill it with water. Then invert a graduated cylinder in the beaker. Run the aquarium tubing into the graduated cylinder, just like you were putting a hose into the cylinder. The tubing should go over the edge of the beaker and under the edge of the graduated cylinder. The gases produced during respiration (CO2) will displace a volume of water that is proportional to the amount of CO2 produced, so yes, you can think of the gas as pushing the water out of the graduated cylinder; the amount of water that is pushed out is proportional to the amount of CO2 produced (i.e. is more water is pushed out, then more CO2 was produced).
All the best,
Terik
x3nehaha

Post by x3nehaha »

Oh Ohkay! I get it now! Thank you so much. That answers all of my questions. Thank you once again.

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”