A few questions about plant growth and photosynthesis

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
RequestingAnExpert

Post by RequestingAnExpert »

Hey there! I am required to interview someone via internet, and after searching around a bit, I found this site/forum to be perfect! So, here we go, a few questions about plant growth and photosynthesis:

1. Are different types of plants easier to grow under certain colors of light?

2. Do different colored lights (red, bue, purple...) affect the process of photosynthesis?

And lastly,

4. Is artificial light any better or worse than regular sunlight for plant growth?

Thanks a bunch. You can always contact me at but I will be checking back here for answers as well. Once again, thanks a bunch!

-John :D
RequestingAnExpert

Post by RequestingAnExpert »

And yes, I realized I skipped the number three in my list of questions. :oops:
jwibbenmeyer

Photosynthesis

Post by jwibbenmeyer »

1. Are different types of plants easier to grow under certain colors of light?
Plants contain pigments which are capable of converting different wavelengths of light into energy. The main pigment is chlorophyll which gives the plant its green color. Accessory pigments (as seen by leaves turning colors in the fall) also assist in light adsorption.

2. Do different colored lights (red, bue, purple...) affect the process of photosynthesis?
Each of pigment has a different light absorption optimum. Depending upon the amount of pigment present in the plant, the different colored light might affect photosynthesis. However, the majority of light absorbed is by the chlorophyll molecule in the 400-500 nm spectrum.

And lastly,

4. Is artificial light any better or worse than regular sunlight for plant growth?

As long as the plant is receiving light in the wavelength above, it will grow fine.

For more detailed information, see the website that follows:

http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/far ... html#Light

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”