AM Crystal radio and Low-power AM radio transmitter

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AntimonyFluorine

AM Crystal radio and Low-power AM radio transmitter

Post by AntimonyFluorine »

To whom it may concern,
I am planning to combine the two projects of making an am crystal radio and building an am radio transmitter. I was wondering how I can combine them as recommended on your website. Does it mean I have to adjust the tuner on the crystal radio so that I receive the signal from my radio transmitter?
Moreover, I faced a problem in finding the 1000:8 ohm transformer. Can I use 1300:8 ohm transformer instead?
Also, I am confused about the antenna of the crystal radio as there is no clear explanation. Should the antenna just be a long wire connected with a tie to a far place? Is nothing attached at the end of the wire?
Thanks for your guidance in advance
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: AM Crystal radio and Low-power AM radio transmitter

Post by bfinio »

Hi,

1. You are correct, you would try to adjust the tuner on your crystal radio to receive the signal at the same frequency generated by your transmitter.
2. We have not tested it, but I believe this project should still work with a 1300:8 transformer instead of 1000:8.
3. Yes, the antenna is just a long wire connected to the radio on one end. Nothing is electrically connected to the far end. See step 11 and figure 14: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

Hope that helps!

Ben
AntimonyFluorine

Re: AM Crystal radio and Low-power AM radio transmitter

Post by AntimonyFluorine »

Hello again,
Thanks a lot for your help and guidance

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”