How can I measure the photosynthetic rate?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

atalamo

How can I measure the photosynthetic rate?

Post by atalamo »

Hello. I am reaching out to you with a specific inquiry. I am planning to conduct a research project to assess the influence of dust deposition on plant leaves on the photosynthetic rate. My idea is to select random plants and manually wash the dust off some of them while leaving others unwashed. I would like to know how I can easily measure a proxy for the photosynthetic rate. I am uncertain if the method of the Floating Leaves will be effective as I suspect that the dust may be removed when I introduce the leaves into the solution. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you can provide. Thank you!

[Administrator note: Floating leaves student science project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... disk-assay ]
marychaffin

Re: How can I measure the photosynthetic rate?

Post by marychaffin »

Hello, you can apply the method of biomass accumulation. Photosynthesis results in the accumulation of biomass in plants. The rate of biomass accumulation can be measured by weighing the plant material over time. This method can be used to measure photosynthesis in both aquatic and terrestrial plants, but it is less precise than the other methods.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”