What genes it does or doesn’t have that may influence its suitability for use as a probiotic?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

nguykiet44

What genes it does or doesn’t have that may influence its suitability for use as a probiotic?

Post by nguykiet44 »

Hi everyone,
I'm a student working on a project - Analysis of the genome of a probiotic bacterium to support commercial development. I need help determining if the gene classes may be beneficial or detrimental to the strains used as a probiotic.
For the overview of the project, I received 2 short read sequences (Illumina) and 1 long read sequence (Nanopore) and need to see how to get the best assembly using the data, either long and short together or just short, just long. After I did the Unicycler assembly and then ran a tool (Kraken2) to identify its bacteria name which is Pediococcus pentosaceus SL4. I also ran it with RAST and had a result [google doc link removed]
So my problem is how I could look at this RAST result to determine if the gene classes may be beneficial or detrimental to the strains used as a probiotic. Should I run more tools to analyze it?
Feel free to leave a comment, I really need help.
Thanks.

[Administrator note: Please post a PDF of your spreadsheet. We have removed the link to the Google doc for privacy.]

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”