Independent vs Dependent Variables: Plan an investigation to test the saturation point of different solutes.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Peacemaker123

Independent vs Dependent Variables: Plan an investigation to test the saturation point of different solutes.

Post by Peacemaker123 »

Hi, I have to plan an investigation to test the saturation point of different solutes for my chemistry summative. My solutes are Sodium chloride, potassium chloride, Baking soda, Sugar, and Magnesium sulfate. Now my question is from doing this, what are my controlled, independent, and dependent variables? I am asking since I am not very good at the variables and need help. Thanks.
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Independent vs Dependent Variables: Plan an investigation to test the saturation point of different solutes.

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi,

Thanks for your question!

For any experiment, the independent variables are those variables that are not manipulated in any way during the experiment. In your experiment, your solutes would be the independent variables; you are not changing anything about them, you are using them to gain some outcome.

On the other hand, the dependent variables are those variables that change due to the manipulation -- they are the outcome. Your dependent variable here is the saturation point. You are expecting a different saturation point for each solute; therefore, the saturation point changes depending on which solute you are investigating.

Lastly, the controlled variables are held constant during an experiment. Some common examples of controlled variables include temperature and time. It is important to have many controlled variables during an experiment to make sure these factors don't impact the experiment and to gain a clearer understanding of how manipulation of the independent variables affects the dependent variables. In your experiment, temperature is a key controlled variables. The equipment you use to perform the experiments should also be controlled.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to respond if any other questions come up, we are happy to help!

--Brandi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”