Measuring Cell Phone Radiation. Do mobile phones radiate?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ansh0703

Measuring Cell Phone Radiation. Do mobile phones radiate?

Post by ansh0703 »

I’ve been doing this project for hours but the radio frequencies aren’t being picked up properly and are giving crazy high numbers for no reason. There is no radiation coming from the sides and the top and bottom of the phone. Someone please help, i’m really confused and my science fair is due soon.

[Administrator note: Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... -radiation ]
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Measuring Cell Phone Radiation. Do mobile phones radiate?

Post by bfinio »

Hi - I apologize that you did not get a timely response to your post. I realize it may be too late for your project, but were you able to get this to work? Unfortunately I haven't tried this project or used one of these meters myself, but a few suggestions I could think of would be:

- try using the meter with different phones
- remove any case from the phone
- if you get a reading from one direction relative to the phone, see how the reading changes with distance in that direction
- contact the manufacturer/place you rented the meter from for troubleshooting information

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”