Variable classifications for: How Do Cats Respond to Bird Sound Recordings?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

cvillarreal126

Variable classifications for: How Do Cats Respond to Bird Sound Recordings?

Post by cvillarreal126 »

My daughter is considering the referenced science fair project idea, Predators and Prey: How Do Cats Respond to Bird Sound Recordings? Can you help us in identifying the variables? Do you agree with what we have noted below:

Controlled Variables (What I keep the same) - although she would study at least 20 different cats, thinking the controlled variable would be the "domestic cat."
Independent Variable (What I change) - the bird sounds.
Dependent Variables (What I observe)- the cats reactions to the bird sounds.

Input is appreciated.

[Administrator note: project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... recordings ]
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Re: Variable classifications for: How Do Cats Respond to Bird Sound Recordings?

Post by chloemkohl »

This sounds like a super fun experiment!

Your variables sound good! One thing I would note - it may be best to play the same bird sounds for each cat, but simply randomize the order. This would make the bird sounds a controlled variable, but the order of the bird sounds the independent variable.

Hopefully this is helpful! Please let us know if you have any other questions, and be sure to update us with results!

Best of luck,
Chloe
cvillarreal126

Post by cvillarreal126 »

Thanks for your input. I appreciate the feedback. I like your suggestion...if the same bird sounds are the controlled variable, and the order of the bird sounds the independent variable, do you agree the cat's reaction to the sounds (although 20+ different cats) is the dependent variable? Feeling confused on how to identify the "domestic cat" into the project under these 3 variable categories. But I think that may be correct. Thanks again for input and insight.
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Post by chloemkohl »

Yes, you are correct - the cats' reactions would be the dependent variable. The "domestic cat" would be a controlled variable because it remains consistent, as each cat is a "domestic cat."

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”